If you never attended college or you have some credits toward your bachelor's degree, you may feel stuck in a job with no room for advancement. At the same time, you know you have solid math skills and a good head for business. You can think of ways in which the company you work for could be run more smoothly, and you're able to see the big picture rather than being siloed in the department that hired you.
You may have wondered, “Is business administration a good major? Should I go back to school and get my bachelor's degree?”
If you have curiosity, discipline, and a desire to get ahead, a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA) degree could be the catalyst that moves you out of a job and into a career you love. Even better, you won't have to quit your current job while you earn the degree. A fully online BSBA program allows you to develop your own schedule and gives you the flexibility to work at your own pace.
Read on to learn more about why, for so many people, the answer to, "Is business administration a good major?" is a resounding yes.
What Qualifications and Coursework Do You Need to Earn a BSBA Degree?
The BSBA degree is designed primarily for individuals seeking managerial positions in the business world. Its focus is on developing mathematical ability and analytical thinking in a corporate environment.
Thus, people seeking the online BSBA degree should have the following:
- An aptitude for math
- Above-average analytical skills
- Strong IT skills or aptitude
- The ability to balance coursework with other responsibilities, like family life and a job
- Persistence, a growth mindset and, ideally, support from loved ones
- Introduction to Financial Accounting
- Introduction to Managerial Accounting
- Introduction to Business Law
- Principles of Macroeconomic Analysis
- Principles of Microeconomic Analysis
- Finite Mathematics for Business
- Statistics of Business and Economics
As a BSBA candidate, you'll also take courses in
- Business Communication
- Corporate Technology Integration
- Human Resource Management
- Marketing and Digital Marketing
- Operations and Supply Chain Management
- Decision Analysis
- Global Corporate Social Responsibility
- Consumer Behavior
- The Foundations of Database Design
- Organizational Development
- Leadership and Motivation
Is Business Administration a Good Major for Students Seeking to Complete a Bachelor's Degree?
While there are concrete benefits to getting any bachelor's degree—as mentioned below, you will increase your earning power—the BSBA degree is a good choice because most entry-level positions in business require a bachelor's degree.
If your goal is to get a job in accounting, project management, human resources, medical and health services management, marketing or digital marketing, the BSBA degree is essential.
What Kind of BSBA Degree ROI Can You Expect?
Before you take the plunge, like the business-minded person you are, you might be wondering about BSBA degree ROI. What return can you expect on this investment? Do the benefits of completing your bachelor's degree justify the costs—in time and money—of going through the program?
Benefits of Your BSBA
The main benefits of getting a bachelor's degree in business administration are as follows:
- You'll qualify for entry-level positions in several well-paying fields, including accounting, human resources, healthcare and marketing
- You'll make more money. According to data compiled by the Social Security Administration, men with college degrees earn $900,000 more over the course of their working careers than men with only a high school diploma; women with college degrees earn $630,000 more1
- You'll earn hard skills such as business and data analysis, business technology and project management—skills that will give you the confidence to move into managerial positions
- You'll learn soft skills such as leadership, presentation delivery, problem-solving and teamwork—all of which will prove useful in whatever you choose to do later on in life
Although it is not as quantifiable, you'll also gain the satisfaction of completing your bachelor's degree. Is business administration a good major? Yes. It opens up several possibilities for a high-paying and rewarding career. When you get a BSBA degree, you can improve your self-confidence and take pride in your achievements—valuable outcomes that will serve you well.
Possible Fields of Pursuit with a BSBA Degree
According to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics, this field is projected to grow at an average rate, when compared to all professions. Public and private accountants earned a median annual salary of $77,250 in 2021.2
Project managers oversee construction and development project from beginning to end. The median annual salary for this career was $94,500 in 2021.3
Medical and Health Services Management
As the demand for health services professionals grows, the field of medical and health services management is expected to grow 32% over the next decade—much faster than all occupations combined. The median annual salary in this field was $101,340 in 2021.4
Financial analysts help to increase the investment portfolios of the individuals and companies that hire them. This career is projected to grow at an average rate over the next decade. In 2021, the median salary for a career in financial analysis was $81,410.5
Marketers design ad campaigns, content strategies and branding to make services and products more appealing to consumers. Because this career is so integral to the success of an organization, marketers earned an impressive $133,380 median annual salary in 2021. Jobs in this field are projected to grow at an average rate.6
Go the Distance with a BSBA Degree
Chico State University offers an Online BSBA completion program that lets you use the college credits and job experience you already have. You can transfer up to 70 units of college credit from another institution or earn the whole BSBA at Chico State. The program is AACSB-accredited and can be completed in as little as 19 months.
Are you still wondering, “Is Business Administration a good major for me, given my personal goals?" Contact an Admissions Advisor today to learn more about what the Chico State Online BSBA program can do for you.
- Retrieved on July 17, 2022, from ssa.gov/policy/docs/research-summaries/education-earnings.html
- Retrieved on July 17, 2022, from www.bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/accountants-and-auditor
- Retrieved on July 17, 2022, from www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes131082.htm
- Retrieved on July 17, 2022, from www.bls.gov/ooh/management/medical-and-health-services-managers.htm
- Retrieved on July 17, 2022, from www.bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/financial-analysts.htm
- Retrieved on July 17, 2022, from www.bls.gov/ooh/management/advertising-promotions-and-marketing-managers.htm